Cambridge Public Library
Board of Library Trustees
May 5, 2011
A regular meeting of the Board of Library Trustees was held on Thursday, May 5, 2011 at 6:30 PM in the Trustees’ Room, 449 Broadway. The following members of the Board of Library Trustees were present:
• Janet Axelrod
• William Barry
• Andre Mayer
• Patricia Payne
• Susan Flannery, Director of Libraries
• Marilyn Gagalis, Administrative Assistant/Programming
Minutes from the March meeting were approved.
Correspondence was acknowledged from:
• Kevin Henkes
• Marilyn Gagalis provided an update on Cambridge Science Festival events being hosted by the library during the week of May 2, 2011.
• Janet Axelrod provided an update on fundraising efforts. It was decided to schedule a meeting with the Friends of the Library Board in October to discuss fundraising plans.
• Susan Flannery reminded the board that the Central Square Branch will be opening May 16th. The branch looks great and the staff is anxious to return. Ms. Flannery reported that this project proceeded very well and she was pleased with the contractor, the electricians, the plumbers and the flexibility of the staff during this process. Library administration is currently interviewing for a new branch manager.
• Susan Flannery reminded the board about the following programs:
May 18th Rogers Celebration at the Valente Branch
May 19th Poetry Program in the Lecture Hall at the Main Library
May 23 Harleston Parker Medal Award ceremony in the Lecture Hall at the Main Library
• Ms. Flannery announced that Maya Escobar, Teen Librarian was chosen to receive one of the City’s Outstanding Employee Awards for 2011. The award ceremony will be on Friday, May 6, 2011 at 9:00 in City Hall. All are invited to attend.
• Ms. Flannery announced that the library has received four PR awards from the Massachusetts
o First Place for the newsletter On & Off Broadway
o First Place for Merchandise, Cambridge Voices, the book published by the Friends
o Third Place for the library’s new web site
o Third Place for the teen web site
• The Friends of the Cambridge Public Library have a new blog: “The Open Book”. It can be found at the following address http://Cambridgelibraryfriends.blogspot.com or you can link from the library’s web site. This blog will also be linked with the library’s Twitter page.
• Janet Axelrod and William Barry asked about the meeting room policy and suggested that bookmarks be printed with the general rules for use of rooms. Another suggestion was that signs be posted at the rooms detailing the rules for use.
• Ms. Flannery informed the board that as part of our building program, we are required to perform a transportation survey with staff and the public at randomly chosen times. This survey will take place during the week of May 9th. There will also be a vehicle count taken that week in the library’s garage.
• A question regarding electronic readers and devices was raised and board members proceeded to discuss the library’s role in providing these devices. It was mentioned that some materials may become available only through electronic devices in the future thus requiring the library to provide access. At this time the library does not provide electronic readers.
There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned.
Andre Mayer, Secretary